Total Organic Carbon (TOC-LECO) Analysis
- Rapid determination of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) and Total Carbon (TC) using minimal amounts of sample
- Target zones of organic richness
- Standard Sample Prep (as needed):
- Wash and Dry
- Pick and Grind
- Weight (0.1 – 1gm)
- Leach (take out the inorganic material)
- Pyrolysis (2100 °F)
- Sample analysis: 40 – 60 sec
Total carbon content is determined in dried sediments and total organic carbon is determined in dried and acidified sediments using a LECO C-230 Carbon Analyzer. Sediment is combusted in an oxygen atmosphere and any carbon present is converted to CO2. The sample gas flows into a non-dispersive infrared (NDIR) detection cell. The NDIR measures the mass of CO2 present. The mass is converted to percent carbon based on the dry sample weight. The total organic carbon content is subtracted from the total carbon content to determine the total inorganic carbon content of a given sample.
Contact Ellington and Associates, Inc. today for more information about Total Organic Carbon (TOC-LECO) analysis services 713-956-2838.